In 1998 the MPPA added the PORAC Legal Defense Fund to its member benefit package. PORAC’s Legal Defense Fund is the nation’s largest and most successful Legal Defense Fund, run by and for peace officers. The Fund has been in existence since 1974 and currently has more than 142,000 members. The Fund is an ERISA Trust that provides legal service benefits for public safety personnel. The Fund currently has reserves of more than $51,000,000.
PORAC provides MPPA members with the following benefits:
- Run by peace officers for peace officers
- More than $51 million in reserves
- More than 99,000 members
- No cap on benefit
- Panel of experienced attorneys
When your employer defends and indemnifies you, the Legal Defense Fund will provide an experienced attorney to monitor your case. This means that he is available to answer your questions about the case, review the pleadings and discovery, watch for conflicts between you and your employer, and watch for inadequate representation.
If there is:
- a legal conflict of interest between you and your employer
- inadequate representation by your employer or
- a considerable likelihood that punitive damages could be awarded against you
You will be provided with independent counsel.
Full representation by an experienced criminal attorney from the onset of the investigation through trial. This benefit is available no matter what agency does the investigation, whether Local, State or Federal.
Customary and Usual Services:
- Expert Witnesses
- Court Reporters
- Court Costs
- Conflict coverage – each member gets separate counsel.
Remember you must initiate contact with PORAC as soon as there is an issue in order to get timely assistance. If in doubt, CALL!
PORAC 24-Hour Emergency Numbers: